Monday, July 5, 2010

The craft for life voice

As I started this blog, I wondered who would be the best 'voice' for it. I'm not the hero here. I don't go every week and work with disadvantaged women. I go to work every day, struggle with deadlines, politics, too few people, too much work, and the lingering thought at the end of the day - to whom does this really matter? So I thought, maybe Bindu - the person who meets these women, understands their lives, their triumph to make a mere extra 200 rupees - maybe she was the best voice for this.

But before i begin, let me tell you about it. This is my 'marketing introduction', but it will do for now.
____________________________________
'Craft for Life' is an informal self help group for disadvantaged women. These are women of spirit. Uneducated, yet with a philosophical wisdom. Resigned to unreliable husbands and unsupportive families, they work several jobs a day, usually as domestic help or day laborers to make ends meet. Yet, they are not unhappy.

They are determined. Unafraid of hard work and long hours. Willing to spend the extra hour a day on a skill that they know will help lift their children out of the vicious cycle of poverty.

They meet every week to learn skills that will help them supplement their income, and learn ways of earning more through their skills. The group began with learning to knit, and started producing simple woolen products such as mufflers and children's sweaters. In less than six months, they have grown, by simple word of mouth, to around 40 women.

The system is simple - they earn the full price of any product they make that sells.

________________________________________

I came to the conclusion that she wasn't the best choice to be the 'voice' of this blog. I am. Because even with my limited involvement, I'm inspired by what they do. I believe that even if all I'm doing is buying one of their products, I'm making a difference. I'm inspired by the story of how one of their girls managed to buy her own watch. I'm inspired by the story of how one woman was able to buy her grandson school books with the extra 200 rupees she made. I'm inspired, just by hearing about it.

And like me, you too, are probably struggling with a corporate job, family, finances, or the everyday things that you do that seem to take up all your time. Like me, you too, probably wonder if there's a 'time' or a 'purpose' or something, anything... that gives you the satisfaction of really making a difference.

So like me, you too will be inspired just by hearing about it.

Keep in touch!

3 comments:

  1. Nandini and Bindu.. I am inspired just by the first post on this blog. Can't wait to hear more about the wonderful women and their stories. Would love to know how I can help as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nandini, Great initiative, would look forward to hearing from you the exciting inspiring stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I promise to try and share more stories more frequently....time's a challenge, but stories are aplenty! :)

    ReplyDelete